Thursday, May 30, 2013

Protein Prescription

A number of years ago (like, 10 or so), I went to the doctor to discuss some options for weight management. I was hoping for a long sit down to discuss what my issues were, why I was so heavy (over 300 lbs at the time), a thorough examination, maybe some blood work. But the only thing he offered me was a book title. Huh?

He asked if I had ever read the book, Protein Power by Dr.s Michael and Mary Eades. I said that I had not read it, but had read about the benefits of a higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet. So, he went on to explain how eating more protein instead of carbohydrates enables your body to begin burning your own fat stores as energy instead of burning sugars as energy. I knew all this. I had even done a low-carb diet before and lost about 15 lbs in the first two weeks, but didn't stick to it. And that was it....he had spoken his peace and that was that. He wanted me on a low-carb diet.

He wrote the name of the book and the author on a prescription pad and handed it to me.

I was like, huh? A prescription for a book?

Where's my strategic, detailed diet and exercise plan?

Where's the blood work, the tests? Isn't he going to prove that this is something that I can't help?

Where's the miracle pill?

But I think he did the best thing I could have ever asked for...he wanted me to get educated! 

Wow! What would the world be like if all doctors prescribed books as required reading before they passed out pills? The drug companies would go broke and book sales would skyrocket!

Anyway, I went right out, bought the book, read most of it (a lot of the chapters are VERY technical...boring) and never followed through with a low carbohydrate diet. And although I've lost a little weight, I've hovered within 20 lbs of 300 ever since and it's taken its toll on my body.

Since then, I've had the blood work and the exams hoping this indeed wasn't MY fault. But there was nothing wrong with me...other than laziness and I like to eat too much. And the only cure for that is a change in me.

So now, 10 years late, it's taken my knees nearly giving out every day from climbing and climbing the stairs in this 3 level apartment for me to want (need) to get it together!

I've been using an app for my phone called, My Fitness Pal to count calories for me, and I've absolutely loved it! But the weight wasn't coming off fast enough. I need to lose like 50 lbs in the next couple months or I'm just not going to be able to make it ya'll! I'm in so much pain every day! I know that dropping the weight will ease the strain on my knees, so I need to lose it fast!

And what came to mind? That's right. That doctors appointment from 10 years ago. So, I'm jumping on the low-carb bandwagon. I'm not looking for a quick fix (well, I kinda am), I'm looking for a life change. And I know this will be the best thing for me. I believe sugar is killing me ya'll. So, I've got to limit myself big time, or I'm going to be a fat old woman who can't walk because her knees gave out in her 30's! Oh wait, you don't really see a lot of "fat" old people do you? That's because they don't make it. I don't want to die young if I can help it.

So, this is day 4 of my low-carb diet (following the Atkins Diet) and I've lost 6 lbs so far limiting myself to 20 carbs a day or less. That's induction for ya! You really can drop a lot of weight quickly by eating such limited carbs. But you can't eat that way forever. That's why I love the book, Atkins for Life. It gives you a detailed plan to start adding good carbohydrates like fruits, starchy vegetables, beans, legumes, and whole wheat breads and pastas back into your diet and continue to lose, or maintain your desired weight.

I know I've said MANY times on this blog that I was going to lose weight and get healthy, but this time, I'm doing it for a different reason. This time, I'm in pain ya'll....and pain will push you to make a change whether you like it or not! So yes, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be out of pain! :) ha! Maybe my doctor knew that all along! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!