Tuesday, October 6, 2009

And Speaking of Grilled Cheese....

The other day I posted pics of my lunch...a humble grilled cheese sandwich and Goldfish crackers. I just wanted to share a tip with you about how I "grilled" my grilled cheese. I use mayonaise. I know it sounds weird to use mayo instead of butter on the outside, but it is a fat after all and browns the bread beautifully. But I will say that it burns quite a bit more quickly than butter, so don't have the pan "screaming hot" (a la Rachel Ray), or your bread will burn. Grill it at a slightly lesser temp than you would use if you were using butter.

My husband of all people taught me this trick one day when I was complaining that I wanted a grilled cheese, but was out of butter. He said that his family always used mayonaise on the outside of their bread and then grilled it. I had never heard of such a thing and was so proud of him for being so clever!

So the next time you're out of butter, use mayo...it works!

3 comments:

  1. Great tip! Didn't know that. Just read the story of your move and am so glad the Lord is providing for your needs. I know you are so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done that before too, and I really like the slightly tangy flavor.

    I'm notorious for burning grilled cheese, no matter what I spread on the bread. I also burn toast. My kids prefer to have Daddy handle these culinary tasks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!