Monday, July 6, 2009

Trial and Error

I won't pretend I'm crafty or do projects all the time, or even have a great sense of style. The truth is, I believe this window project of mine may take longer than I thought. I worked on it for a long time today. And after I was finished, I just didn't "LOVE" the results. And I don't want to hang this already "risky" piece in my living room until it's just right! I say "risky" because none of my decor is cottagy, country, ecclectic, or shabby. I find myself drawn to these looks, but haven't incorporated them into my home yet. My window has a real weathered, shabby, cottagy feel, and I'm just not sure it fits my living room decor, which is very orderly and symmetrical.

I thought I'd paint it black and add black and white photos to dress it up, but once I cleaned and scrubbed away the dirt and cobwebs, I began to appreciate the chippy white paint and beat-up wood. So, I've decided not to paint it.

Like I said, I'm not in love with the finished product. I decided to do each pane like a scrapbook pages, with pictures and sayings, etc, etc. But once I got them in place, it just looked junky and cluttered. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. But on the bright side, I have 8 finished scrapbook pages! Now all I have to do is find an album they'll fit into!

I guess what I'm going for is more a clean look, that happens to use vintage materials. I see this done so effortlessly in decorating magazines, but I'm not sure if I can copy it to fit my decor.

If any of you have any ideas, suggestions, links to other people's projects, etc., please let me know!

So I guess this is a trial and error process. I'll get it right, and when I do, I'll post pics. Maybe tomorrow will be the day!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got those windows! Believe me - I know how it is to get all psyched about a project and then it doesn't turn out like you had envisioned it to look. I'll try to think of some suggestions to give you of things I've seen. Google it and see what you find. The weathered window could be the start of a whole new look for your decor since you said you are drawn to that. I am going to TRY to be more disciplined about what I buy because I don't have room as it is now for what I buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the last sentence doesn't make much sense. It is almost 1:00 so I am going to bed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!