Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I just wanted to do a quick post thanking my husband for becoming a father. He was reluctant...for a very long time. We were married 11 years before we even tried to have a baby. We were married very young (19 and 21) and like many young couples, it took a number of years for us to get on our feet. Honestly, he was just plain scared of the idea! But my husband really had a lot of wisdom in wanting to wait to bring a life into the world...one he would be responsible for. I was a little scared I may never see the day when I would finally hold my own little baby. But she came...and I've never seen him happier.

I gave him special instructions for the delivery. I wanted to be the first one to see her and the first one to hold her. I was very serious! I was the one who had to do all the work, so I wanted to be the first to hold that baby! But, did I get my wish? No! I had a C-Section and was strapped to a table. Instead, daddy got to go over and snap the first pics and he was the first to hold that sweet baby in his arms. His first words about her was, "She's awesome!" He had tears in his eyes as he held her close to my face so I could see her. He was nervous, but eased right into the role of new papa. Within only a few minutes, he was holding her like a pro and even letting her nurse on his gloved pinkie finger. I'll never forget the joy and pride that radiated from his face. It was a sight to behold! I wasn't even jealous that I didn't get to hold her first. Watching him love on our brand new baby was a blessing. I'll never forget that day.

He's so in love with his baby girl. He says that he can hardly remember life before her. In retrospect, I'm glad we waited. It was hard sometimes, longing for a child, but having to respect the fact he just wasn't ready. But good things come to those who wait. I was patient with him and my reward was a beautiful, healthy baby girl, and a husband who was ready to welcome her with open arms. It's been an interesting journey. But I couldn't imagine anyone more special to walk this road with. I love you honey!Here's daddy and baby taking a little nap. She was not a good sleeper for a very long time and he probably needed it!

Daddy and GG at Christmas. He let her bang around on the keys for a little while. Maybe he'll teach her to play someday!

DH loves the Vols! He even got an orange Santa cap to prove it! He mostly wore it to tease my dad who's blood runs Wildcat Blue! The orange hat drove him crazy!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! My husband is from Stone, I grew up at Sidney, we now live in Prestonsburg but consider Somerset our home away from home. Your daughter is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,
    I read your comment on my niece's blog, Somerset Cottage, that you are from Pike Co. I went to Belfry High also (a long time ago) and grew up in Canada (KY!).Nice to hear about someone from "Back home!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!