Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Good Sign

I had a really great time last night at a Holiday Open House, hosted by Betsy with Discovery Toys. I, of course, represented SendOutCards and had a lot of incredible feedback and met some really wonderful ladies.

Other companies represented at this open house were Pampered Chef, 31 Gifts, Discovery Toys, Tastefully Simple, Creative Memories, Stella and Dot and Scentsy. If I learned anything last night, it's that MLM and direct sales is stronger than ever (despite some negative feedback I got today from someone opposed to this business model). Lots of smart, normal, creative, entrepreneurial minded people out there are finding that supplementing their current job with a side income stream via owning their own home-based business is still a popular and doable option for them and their families. I was so encouraged to see that! If you don't believe me, read Robert Kiyosaki's (the author of the best seller, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad") book, "The Business of the 21st Century" which is all about network marketing being a viable, profitable option for people in today's market.




read a free chapter here....
http://thebusinessofthe21stcentury.com/pdfs/DBCh1.pdf


But I was discouraged by some things as well. A lot of these ladies, in fact most of them, were teachers or had been teachers at one time (myself included). They were supplementing their teacher salaries by working in these businesses on the side. I was saddened by that for some reason. I still think it's a great option..maybe even the best option to own and work one of these businesses as opposed to going out and getting a part time job. But a teacher shouldn't have to I guess is what I'm trying to say. I have a soft spot for teachers obviously and think their salaries, comparatively, are a joke and a shame!

One lady's story really touched me. She had actually been trying to get a teaching job for 2 years and is currently a long term substitute teacher making about $60 a day. Her husband lost his job, they have a 2 year old baby and can't make their mortgage. She told me that last summer she spent $400 on professionally crafted resume's and sent them out to over 100 schools, and she didn't even get one call, one email or even a single bite. The same happened the year before as well. I know how that feels for sure. I didn't spend quite as much on getting resume's out there when I lost my job, but I did spend well over $100 both summers I was out pounding the pavement. It's disheartening and can really crush your spirit when you're looking for work and can't find it. Especially when you have those blasted student loans circling over your head like hungry buzzards!

I was just struck by the fact that I believe I am doing EXACTLY the right thing in owning my own home-based business. If I did try to go out right now and find a job in my field, the likelihood of me actually getting one is slim to none. The general consensus around these parts is that you have to be a part of the "good ol' boy" network to find a job teaching in the public schools. And you have to have a masters degree here, of which I do not. So, yeah...it doesn't look good.

Owning my own business, especially in these tough times has its benefits. No one can fire me, I'm not constantly evaluated, I don't have a boss or catty, competitive work colleagues, I'm not going to be cut because of budget issues and I don't have to spend the best hours of my day working for someone else...I spend those hours with my child and a few hours building my business and income. That's exciting and feels so freeing! Now, I'm not going to say that me replacing a teachers salary (as meager as it may be) is an easy task. In this industry it takes time and it takes work. I'm under no illusions about that and I don't want to give anyone else that impression either. If you don't think it will take work and time, you're wrong. All good things in life come with hard work and dedication, and a healthy income from a business in this industry is no exception. But it will come. I believe that with all of my heart.

So, being at that open house was a good thing for me and confirmed a lot of questions I had been asking myself. It was a little whisper from God just saying, "Be still." No matter what, I know He's still taking care of me and He's still got me under His wing.

1 comment:

  1. Hello friends,
    This post is very useful and very interesting to read, Really this Post is nice information,Keep it up.Good Part Time Income

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!