Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March Madness at the Grocery Store!!!

She SHOOTS...she SCORES! GREAT DEALS that is!!!

I don't know what the heck was going on, but I totally scored at the Kroger today! Ya'll may think I'm a nut, but I don't care...I know this was a God thing! You see, I woke up this morning with the express purpose of going to the grocery store because we were absolutely out of everything! I hate grocery shopping, as many of you do I'm sure, so I WAS NOT looking forward to it. For some reason as I was making out my menu and grocery list for the next 2 weeks, I kept thinking I should go to Kroger (which is closer and much more convenient as I HATE going to Walmart). But as my list grew, I decided that I needed to just bite the bullet and head to the world of Wally to try to save a little extra money. So, list and baby in hand, I head to Walmart. When I get there, you'll never believe what happened...I forgot my checkbook! Ughh! Totally frustrating! So I make the 15 minute drive back to mi casa to retrieve my checks from my other purse (I had just switched out my "winter" purse which is black to my cute "spring/summer" pink Vera Bradley and of course forgot to put my checkbook in there). Well, since I've wasted so much time already, I decide to just forget Walmart and go to the Kroger that is next to my bank so that I can make a deposit and check that off of my "To Do" list.

Well, I get into Kroger, intent on sticking strictly to my list (which I normally do) when I notice that they are having some kind of sale extravaganza! The first thing I notice that was a really good price were the 5 lb bags of Russet potatoes at only $1.95! But the mother load came when I strolled on over to the meat dept. There were SO many good deals, I didn't know where to start! I only wished I had a deep freeze because I would have bought DOUBLE what I got at those crazy prices!!!!

First of all let me share with you my dinner menu for the two weeks and what I PLANNED on getting. I make a menu according to what I have on hand that I need to use up, what I have a craving for (this week it was pork chops...lol), and what's on sale. Since I didn't know what was on sale, I was just going to try to make it work. I don't include lunches in my menu because me and the baby usually eat leftovers or a sandwich for lunch.

Here's my menu...

Mon: Chicken Pot Pie (already had all this stuff on hand and made this yesterday)

Tues: Pork Chops w/apple gravy, stuffing, green beans (already have apples and beans)

Wed: Twice Baked Potatoes

Thurs: Sweet and Sour Chicken w/brown rice (already have rice)

Fri: Burgers and Fries (have fries)

Sat: Turkey Subs w/potato chips

Sun: Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans (have the green beans)

Mon: (making a cherry cheese coffee cake for my women's group) Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup w/peanut butter sandwiches (am trying to use up cans of vegetables in the pantry)

Tues: Leftover soup and grilled cheese sandwiches

Wed: Homemade pepperoni pizza

Thurs: Parmesan Chicken Pasta w/garlic bread (trying to use up a couple of half empty boxes of thin spaghetti and I have garlic bread on hand)

Fri: PAYDAY! EAT OUT!!!

So, as you can see, I needed pork chops, beef stew meat, chicken and hamburger. But I left with so much more at crazy incredible prices!!! Check it out!




Can you believe these split chicken breasts were under a dollar a pack?! Crazy!
So, I bought 3


I didn't buy a whole fryer for our Sunday dinner. I don't really like the thighs or the wings anyway. So for my fried chicken dinner, I'm going to use these legs and one pack of the split breasts. At total of $2.28!


I found the pork chops that I needed for what was on my menu. But I can't believe I found them at such a great price!


This whole family pack of boneless pork chops were only $4.53! We'll never eat all of these in one meal, so I'm going to save some back and use them for pork fried rice or sweet and sour pork w/rice or something yummy like that!


I also couldn't pass up this 2lb angus roast at this price! Another easy crock pot meal that will probably last us two days!


Another deal on ground beef.

And I use these refrigerated bread doughs all the time. I had already planned on getting the french bread to make the turkey subs that was on my menu. I couldn't believe they were on sale for $.59! So, I bought 2. I was going to use this Pampered Chef recipe where you take the long french bread loaf, form it into a circle, brush it with egg wash and sprinkle on some Italian seasonings to make a circular bread loaf. You cut the circle in half and start piling on the sandwich fixings! It makes a really unique presentation!


I didn't spend over $6.00 on any one thing, including the meat. The most expensive thing I bought was a $5.99 pressed powder compact, and that made me mad, but I had to have it.

My grocery trip total today was $108.83 and I saved $29.08! So, I will easily be able to add 3 to 4 meals in addition to what I planned for. I have meals for nearly 3 weeks for right at $100.oo! Isn't that cool?! I told you GOD sent me Kroger today!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes HE did send you!
    Wow you did amazing!!
    Your menu sound yummy...too!!
    Blessings
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!