Friday, October 2, 2009

What God Has to Say About Laziness

I came across this quote today and it intrigued me...


"When nothing is done, nothing is left undone." Tao


As a self-proclaimed procrastinator (and I read that most Sagittarians are), I find this quote to be liberating! I was like, "Yeah...right on!" When I don't start on something...it's not really left unfinished to begin with...like that giant pile of unfolded laundry in my laundry room. If I had never started the laundry, I wouldn't have that ginormous pile to contend with, now would I? I mean, it's just freeing! Then I slammed on the brakes and got a flippin' clue! And this is why I don't subscribe to any philosophies except what the Bible has to say. Because if I did, I would have all the excuses I need to be my worst self, instead of the great me that I know God created me to be!

This is what the Bible says about laziness...

2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

Proverbs 18:9
Whoever is slack in his work is a brother to him who destroys.

Proverbs 20:4
The sluggard does not plow in the autumn; he will seek at harvest and have nothing.

Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.

Proverbs 13:4
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.

Proverbs 21:25
The desire of the sluggard kills him, for his hands refuse to labor.

1 Timothy 5:8
But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Proverbs 26:13-16
...As a door turns on its hinges, so does a sluggard on his bed. The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; it wears him out to bring it back to his mouth. The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who can answer sensibly.

Proverbs 24:30-34
I passed by the field of a sluggard, by the vineyard of a man lacking sense, and behold, it was all overgrown with thorns; the ground was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down. Then I saw and considered it; I looked and received instruction. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.

Proverbs 10:26
Like vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to those who send him.

Proverbs 10:5
He who gathers in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps in harvest is a son who brings shame.

Proverbs 10:4
A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich.

So lazy people don't have any money and don't contribute, are in debt, have nothing to eat when they want it because they didn't work for it, their fields (or homes) are a mess, they sleep a lot, they are a disgrace to their families, they think they're smart, but are really quite foolish and are an annoyance to everyone around them who is actually being productive. Whew! God really has a lot to say about being lazy doesn't He? I feel a little convicted!

Laziness is a lifestyle for some, but a temptation for us all. I mean, I'm hardly habitually lazy, but I do struggle with it...especially putting things off that could be done today, or now. But God says to "...work as unto the Lord." Work as if He was your boss. And the Bible also says that God is not a "hard taskmaster," and that His burden is not heavy. And He purposefully gave us a day to rest and recharge because He's good, and He knows we need it. He took a day off Himself once upon a time as I recall! lol So really, why wouldn't we want to work and be productive and make the most of our talents, resources and strengths? God gave them to us to use so we'll have richer, fuller, more content and happier lives!

So I guess being lazy, and putting things off doesn't serve us well. It isn't freeing or liberating. It makes you feel ashamed, resentful (of others who have things...but they worked for it), depressed, indebted to those around you because you have to borrow just to be able to eat! I don't want to be that kind of person.

I'm glad I came across that Taoist quote. It made me glad to have the REAL Word of God that makes REAL sense in the REAL world. Cause that laundry aint folding itself!

1 comment:

  1. I am feeling lazy today :-) Thanks for the needed kick in the derrierre :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!