Monday, May 11, 2009

My Mondays Are Not Wash Days

I was up until 3:30 am last night writing my first blog. I guess I just needed to tell my story. I hope anyone who reads it will be blessed.

So, today's Monday, and I've found over the past few months that I like to go grocery shopping on Mondays. Back in the old days, Mondays were wash days. I'm not sure why? But I have decided that every day should be wash day. Laundry just piles up and piles up! I admire those people who do a little every day. I've never been one of those people. Around my house, wash day is whatever day I become so desperate for clothes, that I HAVE to do some laundry. My poor working mother's housekeeping was the same. We did ALL the cleaning and ALL the laundry for a family of 5 on Saturdays. We spent hours in front of the TV on a Saturday night (usually watching my dad's stupid sports shows or MASH or something, nothing that any respectible kid would enjoy) folding and putting away clothes. Just matching the socks alone was enough to traumatize me for life!

So, I've carried the same habits for all these years and now that I'm a stay at home mom, I can clearly see that the "all or nothing" approach that I used to implement when I was employed full time, doesn't work! I've come to view my role as not just a SAHM (although that's a mighty important role) but as a "home manager." I need to make sure our home runs smoothly, efficiently and with as much organization as possible. That's why slowly, but surely, I've been finding out what works for me. I'm on the road to doing a little laundry, and dishes, and vacuuming, and picking up and organizing every day, but I'm not even close to being there yet! Old habits die hard.

Which brings me back to Monday grocery shopping. I look at the Sunday flyers and see what's on sale that week. Then I think of what I already have on hand and plan a menu according to the sales and what's in my pantry! I make out my menu and grocery list on Sunday night and go shopping on Monday morning after the baby is up and fed. Today I spent around $80 for groceries for 2 weeks. I think that's pretty good! To try to save even more money, I used to be on a coupon clipping craze, but ended up spending more trying to use them then I would if I just bought the store brands (which is what I usually do anyway). I don't get how these "coupon moms" get a hundred dollar grocery bill down to $10 or $5. I've tried and just can't figure it out? If anyone would like to teach me personally, I'd be glad to learn!

I'm trying to get a handle on this thing called homemaking! I realize I'm not going to just "poof" become a domestic goddess. That's just not me, and probably never will be. But there is real value in having some routine to your life, for your peace of mind and sanity. And I can honestly say that I'm developing a schedule that's best for me. I think of great home managers like my grandmother who always has a clean, organized house, a beautiful lawn and garden (she still cuts her own grass at 80 years old!), always has money (because she is a disciplined saver), is up by 6am, and in bed by 10pm, and has always taken a lot of pride in what she has, even if it's not extravagent. She's my hero! I have new respect for the life she's led and wish I could be more like her!
And yes, she does a little bit of laundry every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I read and value each one of your comments, so type away! Blessings!